Commissioner MaryEllen Elia is bad for NY's schools. She serves at the pleasure of the Board of Regents; let them know why they should remove Commissioner Elia!
- She has ignored parents: Even though more than 1 in 5 NYS parents have refused the state's tests, the tests and the standards on which they are based remain largely unchanged.
- She has deceived parents: Under her guidance, the state education department has misrepresented minor changes in the standards and tests as more significant than they really are.
- Her policies are damaging to children and teachers: Rather than championing developmentally-appropriate practices based in research, Elia's State Education Department has pushed policies like untimed testing (which may actually be illegal as well as abusive) and canned curriculum (which stifles creativity and engagement for students and teachers alike).
- Her priorities are misplaced: The state should be focused on insuring equity of resources, not on punishing schools.
- She has not shown the will to forcefully protect all children--whether from racist school board members, data-mining corporations, or indefensible assignments (like the one where students were asked to make arguments in defense of the Holocaust).